Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Fat Talk

Cher: I feel like such a heifer.  I had two bowls of Special K, 3 pieces of turkey bacon, a handful of popcorn, 5 peanut butter M & M's and like 3 pieces of licorice.


Fat talk.  The constant comparison of what you have or haven't eaten, the fact you haven't gone to the gym in weeks, or how much weight you need to lose.  It's the negative talk surrounding weight, food, and body image.  So many girls are guilty of this.  I know that I am guilty of it at times.  I can bet in the past week either you or one your friends has engaged in fat talk.


For some reason, we think this type of talk is normal and respond to it the wrong way.  We say things like "You should have seen how much I ate the other day." or "I know! I am having such a fat day too".  We think the by sympathizing with the person we are going to make them feel better.  However when we do this, not only do we encourage the fat talk, but we often bring ourselves down at the same time.


While I admit that I am still guilty of fat talk at times, I have been trying to stop myself from doing it and changing the way I react to friends when they do it.  Here are a couple of things that I have been trying to do to stop the fat talk:

1. Think about why I'm saying it:  I often find myself starting the fat talk when I am feeling guilty about something I have eaten or skipping a workout.  Its important to remind yourself that in the end it doesn't matter!  You can eat that piece of cake or skip that workout you just weren't feeling.  You don't need to "fess up" or feel guilty about it later.

2. Replace the negative with something positive: Too often people focus more on the 1 or 2 negative things they do as oppose to the abundant number of positive things.  If a negative thought or fat talk comes up turn it around.  Think of something positive you have done instead.

3. Don't validate or sympathize with your friend: You aren't making them feel any better when you put yourself down too.  In fact, instead of one person saying negative things about their body, now there are two.  Support your friend and give them a boost of confidence.

Fat talk doesn't help anyone and sympathizing with it only brings yourself down too.  Make en effort to change the way you think and respond to others when fat talk comes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment